St. Paul's Catholic Student Center at Boise State University
Check out this quick chronology of events from the beginning of St. Paul's to now.
1948 - August 16th, The Newman Club at Boise Junior College is Founded by Fr. Peplinski, working out of the newly established parish of Our Lady of the Rosary.
1960 - The Newman Foundation purchases a lot on the corner of College Drive and Joyce.
1962 - A house is purchased and moved to the property on College Drive to function as the first, on campus Catholic student center.
1963 - A BJC professor, A.H. Chatburn, donates land on the corner of Joyce and College Drive to the Center. Fr. Perry Dodds is appointed chaplain for the Boise Junior College Newman Club.
1965 - The first building of St. Paul's is dedicated as the Newman Center.
1966 - The priest's residence, on Joyce, is built as a free standing apartment.
1969 - The remainder of the land around St. Paul's is purchased by the diocese, including the parking lot and Yale Ct. Apartments.
1970 - The chapel and entire two story west wing of the Center is built and dedicated. The diocese decides to no longer provide funding or any subsidy to the student centers in Idaho. The parishes must fund everything.
1974 - St. Paul's is designated as a "personal" parish by the diocese.
1985 - St. Paul's parish designation is changed to a "territorial" parish.
1990 - Bishop Tod Brown mandates that St. Paul's place its primary focus on "campus ministry".
1996, July 1st - Bishop Tod Brown decrees that St. Paul's parish be suppressed and mandates it becomes only a campus ministry center, under the direction of the pastor of Our Lady of the Rosary. The diocese takes financial responsibility for the center and Sister Mary David Hartse is designated as Campus Minister for St. Paul's.
2000 - Dr. Charles Skoro, a professor at Boise State University, becomes Campus Minister.
2006 - Fr. Simeon Van De Voord OSB, passes away and Fr. Hugh Feiss OSB becomes the priest in residence.
2011 - The older florescent tube lighting is upgraded with grant money from the Idaho Power Easy Upgrades program.
2012 - St. Paul's lobby is renovated by adding skylights and removing the breakfast bar.
2014 - The Society of Jesus is invited to staff St. Paul's Fr. Jack Bentz S.J. as first Jesuit Campus Minister.
St. paul's Catholic center 1915 University Drive Boise, ID 83706 Phone: 208-343-2128 Fax: 208-367-1110